I don't know where I was going with it, other than potentially making it into an online multiplayer game. Obviously, that is currently out of my skillset, and the code of the Love2D version is in dire need of a complete refactor before that's even a possibility.
I'll probably rebuild it in Godot or MonoGame if and when I decide to do that.
Looking at the mechanics, it seems Drone Fight could have been a Survivors-type game with the same aiming gimmick as 20 Minutes Till Dawn, before either of those games existed, particularly with the upgradable weapons using the minerals idea I was thinking of back when I was trying to figure out what to do with it.
Keep in mind, I started making this around 2018, 4 years before Vampire Survivors was released.
Whatever, I'll either figure it out eventually, or this game will stay in hiatus.
Drone fight is a work-in-progress top-down shooter where you control a space drone to compete against others and bring back the most minerals.
There are downloads available at the bottom of the page.
The ones starting with "gm" were made in Gamemaker and the rest of them were made with LOVE2D.
Keyboard And Mouse:
- Space to accelerate
- Mouse to aim
- Left mouse button to shoot
- Controller must be connected before starting game
- Compatible with Xbox One and PS4 controllers
- Left or right stick to move and aim
- Any face button, trigger or bumper to shoot
- WASD to move
- Mouse to aim
- Left mouse to shoot
Drone Fight Changelog
- Fixed red border flickering
- Changed how the camera works
- Initial release
- Enemies drop life ups sometimes
- New sounds for lasers and other things
- Added title screen music
- Enemies are more resilient now (3 hits instead of 1)
- Scoreboard to save your score
- Replaced options button with score button
- It's widescreen now!
- Play area is bigger now
- Also more enemies
- Menu redesign
- Added health capsules that drop when you smash into enemies
- Stopped multiplying asteroids
- Added particles to replace explosions
- Added laser particles
- Graphics update stage 3
- Asteroids multiply but stick together
- Added background music
- Removed comet
- Fixed controls
- Smashing into enemies gives you more health
- Asteroids are solid now
- Added a comet for some reason
- Comet causes game to crash
- Made asteroids move around
- Graphics update stage 2
- Added laser and exploding sounds
- Graphics update stage 1
- Made asteroids rotate
- Asteroids explode after being hit 10 times
- Enemies explode after colliding with player
- Initial Version